AHL’s renovation of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Honolulu headquarters was awarded LEED® Gold certification established by the U.S. Green Building Building Council and verified by the Green Building Certification Institute.
LEED® Gold certification of IBEW was based on a number of green design and construction features that positively impact the project itself and the broader community. These features include:
- Reduced water use by 40 percent through high efficiency plumbing fixtures.
- Diverted over 61 percent of construction waste from the landfill through deconstruction and recycling
- Use of rapidly renewable materials
- Use of daylighting, high-efficiency lighting with T5 and LEDs and occupancy sensors
- High efficiency HVAC
- Four 14-inch diameter solar tubes run through the open ceiling, spreading daylight into the interior spaces
- Use of low-emitting VOC materials: paint, carpet, adhesives and sealants
- Furniture: a sustainable manufacturer with a strong global vision to realize sustainable products