University of Hawai’i — Windward Community College Library and Learning Center
As the first green library in the University of Hawai‘i System, the Windward Community College Library Learning Commons is an example of how architecture can contribute to the advancement of education and technology in the 21st century. The library features elements beyond a regular library including a media center, classrooms, study rooms, and a coffee shop. Open common areas, including the three-story atrium, bring in volumes of natural daylight creating a collaborative and efficient learning environment.
As a focal building within the college, the center maintains the campus aesthetic of Spanish Mission Revival Architecture. Along with its state-of-the-art technology, unique features include its ecofriendly furniture and cabinetry made of recycled materials from the previously demolished library.
- AIA Honolulu People’s Choice Award 2013
- Building Industry Association, Renaissance Overall Grand Award for New Commercial 2013
- Building Industry Association, Renaissance Grand Award, Hawai‘i BuiltGreen™ Division, National Green Standard Commercial 2013
- American School & University Educational Interiors Showcase, Outstanding Designs and Citation Winner 2013
- Masonry Institute of Hawai‘i, Project of the Year 2013
- American School & University Architectural Portfolio, Outstanding Designs and Citation Winner 2013
- LEED Silver Certified