Schofield Barracks, Whole Barracks Renewal, Phase 4B, Quad E
Quad E at Schofield Barracks on Oahu is recognized as a historically significant group of structures and is on the National Register of Historic Places based on its representative art deco and Spanish Mission Revival architecture, historic events during World War II, and development in the Hawaiian Islands from 1900-1949. This renovation was consistent with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation & Illustrated Guidelines for Rehabilitating Historic Buildings.
Anti-Terrorism/Force Protection (AT/FP), structural, seismic, and physical security requirements were a particular challenge in meeting the historic preservation goals and the budget. Destructive structural investigations were required due to lack of accurate and reliable design or as-built drawings and records. Pre-design hazardous material assessments by the Army also did not reveal the presence of all the hazmat encountered.
The design-build approach allowed early and continual interaction between the design and construction teams to resolve these often conflicting requirements while meeting the budgetary constraints of the project. Unforeseen conditions, asbestos containing materials, and other hazardous materials, typical for buildings of this age, also were significant issues which were successfully addressed on this project.
Quad E consists of two concrete buildings, three stories each, constructed in 1921. The buildings were originally open sleeping and living spaces and, more recently, a mixture of office and living spaces. Building 552 is a barracks for Unaccompanied Enlisted Personnel Housing (UEPH) with 150 rooms. Building 549 has company equipment storage, arms vaults, administration offices, dining facilities, soldier support services, classrooms, gymnasium, and Battalion HQ functional spaces. Building 549 contains one medium and two small company operations facility and a small battalion headquarters for the brigade complex.
- Historic Hawaii Foundation Historic Preservation Award